Friday, September 12, 2008

iffy & ike

There was a big stir about the amount of traffic Austin would be expecting from the refugees from Hurricane Ike that is supposed to hit Texas's coastal cities of Houston and Beaumont. As a result the superintendent of AISD decided to let school out early today to get a head start on the traffic. Some businesses were let out early as well. Guess everyone just wanted traffic to last all day long. With the news of an anticipated early dismissal (but getting paid for a full day plus the Friday Bonus pay) I decided I could definitely take a subbing position at an 'if-fy' school. Not the best area of Austin, known to have pretty tough kids. But this was 1st grade, couldn't be too bad right? Well, I could have had 24 kids. All I can say is that I'm glad that I had over 5 absent. 'Cus while they were cute, I think the news of a hurricane hitting any part of Texas was freaking some of them out, and a few of them complained about not getting enough sleep the night before and insisted upon curling up on the beanbag in the reading corner for half the morning. It was then that I remembered that that these were 1st graders, and not only so, but it was the beginning of the year, so these kiddos are still getting adjusted to full-days of school. But with the few of them who decidedly were being quite defiant I was happy there were at least half doing what they were told.

No comments: