Monday, September 1, 2008

you can't spend the rest of your life in the doldrums

I desperately need my work to pick up and get hauling. Last Friday marked the last day of nannying for my two adorable Austinite-nephews, and already I am in a slight funk as to what to do with my time while I'm not working. I'm a substitute teacher, you see, and while I appreciate the flexibility of it all, sometimes there isn't work to be had, which both stresses me and bores me out of my mind. Stress because we need the income, and boredom because my life has become incredibly less eventful on the day to day scale. So much the so, that on days (which are most) when there is absolutely nothing on the agenda, I often would rather just stay in bed lingering longer in dreamland before getting up to do a whole lot of nothing. Sure, sure, there's the occasional laundry to be done, dishes to be washed, 617 sq. ft apt to be cleaned, but that hardly can fully constitute a fulfilling life. I keep thinking I need a healthier occupation. Something to really give myself to and devote all this unused time of my life. In the least I need work to pick up and keep me occupied for the time being... come on AISD throw me some kind of line!

Was reminded of this great movie I watched over and over again as a child: The Phantom Tollbooth, 1970. To read the start of the book go here.

I couldn't resist from including a clip about wasting time... "So don't say there's nothing to do in the doldrums."



"You can do anything as long as it's nothing!"