Monday, September 8, 2008

ey' carumba!

So I survived my first day of bi-lingual 5th grade Language Arts class. Thankfully the other two classes that shuffle through my doors were not bi-lingual. That made the day go with a lot more ease. I was, however, pretty disappointed by the teacher's lack of lesson plans. Don't get me wrong, she did supply me with a piece of print out, mostly what I would observe as 'TAKs" copy and pasted right out of some online catalog. But I was never given any page numbers for the textbooks, nor a teacher's handbook, or anything like that. Thankfully the students did have somewhat of a routine as far as copying down a writing prompt from the board and having to write that in cursive (was like pulling teeth for some of them). And I suppose I can be thankful that they used most of their class time doing that, but I really wanted to actually get to TEACH something. Needless to say, I am not that excited about filling in for this teacher on Thursday. I managed to get through my day anticipating getting to see the other 5th grade teacher's teaching styles in the following two days. One taught Math and the other taught Science, but about three-fourths the way through my day, my bubble got popped. One of the other 5th grade teachers tells me during recess that he and the other teacher won't be needing me Tuesday or Wednesday because they won't be testing their kids yet.

"Didn't Mrs. G tell you?"

"No, she did not."

You have to realize that at this point I was pretty upset, because my SubFinder system already had me locked in with a job code for this school for Mon-Weds (and when that happens you can't shop for other jobs on those days). So I was totally confused as to what I was supposed to do, and if I was still going to get paid for those days that they locked me in for. I have emailed the substitute services coordinator at the substitute office to find out what will happen, but she still hasn't replied. Ugh! So frustrating! I have half a nerve to cancel on Mrs. G for Thursday and to never go back to that school, but the other half of nerve reminds me that I need the income, and I'm not guaranteed to find a job on SubFinder for those last two days of this pay period.

Así es la vida.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Ugh, what a mess! I am so sorry!