Saturday, July 26, 2008

the wedding planner

What a blessed time to be in Portland this summer!

It worked out that Erik and I could attend my dear friend Rebekah Andrews' wedding to this awesome fellow named Ben Carter while we were in Portland... not only so, but I arrived just in time to help absorb some of the pre-wedding stress and be handed a few diagrams of ideas and then be formally pronounced as the 'wedding planner'. No joke. *grin* I was honestly thrilled to be able to help relieve them in any way I could, but had no idea what that day would hold. It was a crazy task of being pulled in every which direction, some of which I had no idea what was the bride's original plans, and so I 'winged-it' and trusted in the "Em, I chose you because I trust your taste."

Arriving at 10:30am to help the guys know where to set up the chairs and tables, then dress the tables, pinning the corners of the toppers to the under-cloths, receiving all the flower arrangements, food (it was all catered by various couples who knew the family of the bride, and VERY delicious too, I must add), and various other things. [Here I will insert a *big* thank you to my DH for all his help in assisting me during this time. I couldn't have done it without you, babe!] Looking after the details and making do when some of the assigned help didn't show up, we definitely had our hands full. There were questions thrown at us from all sides, and somehow I just made it through. Musta been my DH's prayers. :) After making sure everything was just so, we left the wedding location by 5:20pm to go shower and change into our wedding clothes, making it back 30 minutes before it 'technically' would start (6:30). What a whirlwind!

All in all the event was gorgeous and well-planned and executed. I even stood there to help the 7 maids and 7 groom, ring bearer, and flower girl (yes folks, it was quite the bridal party) make it down the isle and cued the musicians as to when to start wrapping up between them and the bride's entrance. Awe, she was just beautiful! Her father designed and built the arch/gazebo (with my father's assistance) three weeks before the wedding. Everything was just perfect! Again the food was absolutely delicious; she had chicken & brisket, quiche, and three types of salads. Served along with the amazing 4-layered cake and two side cakes made & decorated by my good friend Linsi (who, side note: was married in this same backyard and I was one of the bridesmaids) was a whole bunch of (white, milk, & dark) chocolate covered strawberries. To top off the evening before the bride and groom drove away, they had a 'first dance as a married couple' (God Bless the Broken Road), followed by the precious 'father-daughter' dance. Wish my camera had been fully charged, for that would have made an awesome video-clip.

One thing about being 'in charge' at the wedding meant that I couldn't be behind my camera as much as I had wanted... wish I could have shared the details of this wedding with y'all in picture form. Perhaps I'll get a neck strap for my cam and learn to shoot and direct all in the same breath. :)

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Sounds and looks like you did a LOVELY job! Watch out, the word will get out! :-)