Sunday, February 17, 2008

dem german knives are sharp

WARNING: not for the weak stomached.

I am serious, this is an entry that may cause you to faint or be sick. Don't read on if you're that kind of person. This entry contains a graphic account of a knife accident.

We absolutely love our new Henkels kitchen knives. After all, they're German. *grin* We got a few as wedding gifts, and I'm still shopping for the bread knife. But today I am typing with the tips of only seven fingers and two thumbs. That's right. Sadly and much to my surprise I severed the entire tip of my left index finger this afternoon. It's the deepest cut I've ever had. That's just to say that I am not used to seeing the innerparts past my epidermis. Dem knives are sharp people. No seriously, so sharp you hardly feel the cut, in fact you feel it after it's too late to retreat. Once I saw and realized the severity of what happened, my dear husband said that I jumped up and down and started shouting, 'I cut my finger off! I cut my finger off! Ahhhhh!' I guess I stuck it in my mouth then held it above my head in shear horror. He ran to my rescue and then found the remains of the thick slice of my finger still stuck to the other side of the knife. After searching our medicine cabinet high and low we discovered that we didn't have appropriate bandages and ointments, so with my finger wrapped in a damp paper towel we drove across the highway to super target to see what we could find. We returned with a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, a tube of neosborne, gauze, bandages, and cayenne pepper. One of these things didn't seem to belong, but I found out that cayenne not only kills germs and helps with the healing process, it also burns like leaving your hand on the stove top for longer than you should but not being able to remove it. Like a terrible torture scene. OwWee! OwWee! OwWee! oh man, did it ever burn! And still does. Don't think I will ever be able to put that on anyones' wounds myself. However, I still love my DH and know he was doing his best to take care of me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OK..now ceyenne pepper seems a little sadistic on a cut...JMHO

Suz_reagan said...

You are supposed to use BLACK pepper - it does not burn (so said my granny and says my mom)

em said...

Your honest opinion is always welcome, Val. Thanks for stopping to comment. As for that ceyenne pepper...well,... it truly felt like torture at the time, but the burning sensation does eventually cease, and in retrospect I think perhaps the healing process was hurried along by such bizarre treatment. I'm going to have to show you the photos I took from this accident sometime.

Thanks for the tip Suz... I'll see how brave I am 'next' time... (hopefully there won't be a next time). :)