Sunday, February 3, 2008

a walk in the park

This afternoon Erik and I went for a walk in Austin's Zilker park, but to avoid waiting in a line of cars and paying that silly parking fee we decided to drive a little further down the road and walk down to the river and along it to the foot bridge into the park. We saw people flying kites, tossing sticks or balls for their dogs to chase, kicking soccer balls, playing various games with players in shirts & skins, and still others throwing frisbees. We had ours with us and joined in the fun. Making our way across the field we passed a guy and a girl and their pot-belly pig. I kid you not. I kick myself for not carrying my trusty camera with me as I usually do. We climb up a rocky portion in the middle of the field. It looks as though it had been some sort of geological fault plane. At the top there was another boy and girl playing guitar and banjo and singing-- ol' timey children folk songs mainly. At the other end was a group of like ten high school students dressed as pirates complete with eye patches, bandannas, swords, hats, and the like. They were posing for photographs. We couldn't help overhear their conversations (complete with "ARGH's") and secretly wish we had remembered our 'pirate' clothes/gear and could sneak in the shoot. We continued our walk across the treacherous Barton Springs road (I felt like I was in a real life game of Frogger) and into the playground area, pass the little train, and over to the other end of the pool where we people-watched for a while and then headed back to the other end of the park where our car was. By the time we reached our car we were starved and I was craving none-less than a delcious downtown bratwurst from the famous Worst-wurst stand on 6th street. My dear husband sweetly complyed...(and you'll have to read the next post to find out what happened!)

No comments: